Saturday, March 30, 2013

Robert: Positively Living: Adult or Grown Child, Which are you?

Robert: Positively Living: Adult or Grown Child, Which are you?

Positively Living
by Robert Colling

This is my first posting for Positively Living . I wanted to write something witty to brighten your day. But right now I am struggling in keeping my own thoughts in order to even write this; because my blood pressure is extremely high. I’m frustrated. I’m upset with people that don’t care. I’m down right pissed. I get so aggravated with people that treat me like I’m stupid because I don’t know what they know…Has that ever happened to you?

That’s when I have to remind myself,  ‘What is it that differentiates between an Adult and a Grown Child?’ For years I have struggled with this question while interacting with people. I have prayed many times for guidance and understanding. I have watched with open eyes and ears, trying to understand that people God brings into my path for a reason. With this, I have come to the conclusion that there are many Grown Children playing Adult. You are surrounded by them, all in different stages of growing; ranging from extremely polite and quiet to loud and arrogant. Do NOT let them dictate and malign you. You are an Adult. Hold your head high. Listen for the Lord. Understand who and what surrounds you, all while being polite and respectful. Then open your mouth and say something.
Here is only one key difference (out of many) between a Grown Child and an Adult. A Grown Child makes all decisions from what feels good, without regard for other people, Selfish. An Adult makes decisions with a degree of empathy for those in the situation. An Adult will make mistakes, but they learn from them and apologize quickly, while correcting and growing. Where are you?

 

What I am describing is a small nugget of a walk with Christ. Growing in empathy and understanding is a gift that involves your participation. Be honest with yourself. Allow good people to see and interact with the messy, miserable sides of ourselves. Keep your chin up; God has good things planned for you.

 

Thank you. This has been therapeutic for me and I hope good for you too.

Robert Colling

No comments:

Post a Comment